Sunday, May 11, 2008

Doc's Wisdom


I know I usually restrict my movie related posting to Disney wonders, but Tag made me watch "Tombstone" with him yesterday, and it is full of many little gems. I'll stick to a short one because I should be writing a paper about the environment and law, or studying for Jurisprudence... but I can almost certainly proclaim that there is nothing I could learn from ENV law or Jurisprudence that I'll value half as much as a one-liner from Doc Holliday:

"There is no normal life, Wyatt. There's just life. Now get on with it."

I love moments... little gifts of grace. This line was a moment. Sometimes, when I have time to think about my life as a forest and not as a tree here and a tree there, I wonder if I'm doing it right. I sometimes say silly things like,"I got married so young," or "Shouldn't I have had a baby by now?" or "We might not have time to travel 'later', so we should definitely go to Europe asap." Life shouldn't be about whether or not you're doing it right, or whether or not it's normal. Doc was right. There is no normal life. However, his wisdom was in the imperative statement of the phrase: "Now get on with it."

So, I'm going to try to get on with it better. Sure, I may feel like I'm not living when I spend the afternoon snuggled with Koda on the couch watching re-runs of "Charmed" for the fifth or sixth time. Maybe there is always something else I "should" be doing. Or maybe this is my life, and it doesn't matter if I spend an hour of it here or there not being productive. Maybe it's a part of how I get on with it.

1 comment:

The Roaming Southerner said...

Good quote and also a good way to justify more snuggles with Koda...but let's face it...she wasn't going to let you not snuggle so you just face the inevitable.

Seriously loving the picture of her in the sidebar. btw.